Thursday 29 October 2009

Remembrance Day

I was reminded recently that Remembrance Sunday is fast approaching and when I saw the Poppy Seller in town I decided not to buy one, but to find a source online for a way to make a donation. I love the idea of the poppy sale, but I really do not like the actual poppy which is paper and plastic. I found my solution today, of being able to wear a poppy in remembrance, and to donate to the cause. I downloaded Knitonthenet's Poppy Pattern, designed by Justcallmeruby, or as she may be better known, Susan Crawford the author of A Stitch in Time.

You can download this pattern for a £2.00 donation made through PayPal. This is a lovely little poppy that I can wear with pride, while knowing that I still made my small contribution to the work that the The Royal British Legion provides. This charity provides financial, social and emotional support to millions who have served and are currently serving in the Armed Forces, and their dependents. Currently, nearly 10.5 million people are eligible for their support and they receive thousands of calls for help every year.

As both of my grandfathers were in the Armed Forces , one in the Navy and the other in the Army, I always try to remember theirs' and others' contribution to our society. Though I abhor war, I do not hate the people who have to fight them on our behalf. The members of the Armed Forces, and their famillies, are so often forgotten when we discuss conflicts. We forget how the effects of war live with those serving, and those who love them, long after the war is over, even if they suffered no physical injury.

If you knit, this pattern is one way for you to remember the service of others, and to show your support in the run up to Remembrance Sunday. The pattern is only available to download until Midnight on Tuesday 11th November 2009.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails