Monday 16 August 2010

Compensation

This week I picked up a packet from Mary Clare.  I was expecting the packet, but I am really excited now it is here.



Isn't it beautiful?  I fell in love with Fez when it first came out, but knew that I couldn't afford to buy enough to make a garment for myself out of it.  I used a couple of balls to make Kitties.



I love the very slight halo this yarn has.  It is warm, soft and very squidgy. Knitting with Fez left me wanting to knit more.  So when I had an opportunity given to me this week, I grabbed it with both hands.

I recently splashed out and bought some Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino.  I normally wouldn't shell out so much for baby yarn but I'd wanted to knit with it for so long I decided that having 5 pregnant friends was a good reason to give it a go.  I made an amazing baby blanket with it.


Fabulous, isn't it?  The trouble is, the dye from the dark red, bled into the nice light cream yarn.




The above photo was taken after blocking.  I wet block in a cool hand wash using Soak and did not agitate it at all.  I was really surprised that this would cause the dye to run, so I washed it several more times using colour catchers.  I gave up after the third wash, because it was just getting worse.  I was heart broken and took it to show Mary Clare.  She was as surprised as I was and promised to show it to the Debbie Bliss rep.

The rep took the blanket away for testing and as a result I was told that with darker and more intense colours there is more risk of the dye not being completely rinsed out.  I accept that, but there was no warning on the label.  He assured us that this was a batch that was faulty and as a result offered me yarn up to the value of two packets of Baby Cashmerino.  I couldn't bring myself to knit this blanket again in this yarn, so I chose to get the Fez instead.  I wasn't expecting a two full packets, but I am delighted to have received them!

Now I just have to decide what to make with my replacement yarn.  I have a wrap around cardigan/jacket type thing, in mind.  As usual, I can't find a pattern that works for me and my yardage.  I may end up winging it - again.  Never mind, I have my trusty Custom Knits: 25 Projects (Plus Variations) and Techniques for Customizing to Fit Your Style and Your Body to hand and that has a pattern(rav link) that looks like a promising place to start.

Despite my urge to choose the charcoal colourway, I stuck with my recent plan to expand my colour selections.  When I open my project page on Ravelry I don't want to see a swathe of purples and blues and pinks (like I do at the moment).  I knew that I wanted a darker colour so I wouldn't be worrying about smudges all the time.  So moving away from the grey and black that left the dark green and chocolate.  I have some dark green aran yarn in my stash so I decided to go for the Chocolate.  Oh I am so glad I did.  It is beautiful.


This yarn is a deep and true chocolate, that makes me hungry when I see it.  It broke my heart that my blanket didn't work out, but I have bought replacement yarn and I will give it another go.  This Fez has more than compensated me for my sadness.  I am going to enjoy every moment of knitting it and then hopefully of wearing it too.

Debbie Bliss, you saddened and angered me, but you are my friend again now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails